Tumor markers are complete protein substances which are produced by the body in response to cancer growth or by the cancer tissue itself. Some tumor markers are specific, while others are seen in several cancer types.
Tumor markers can be used to examine clinically relevant questions:
- Revealing groups which are under high risk of cancer development;
- Localization of a tumor before more detailed investigation;
- Prediction of the diseases remission after the termination of treatment ;
- Estimation of operative treatment eff ectiveness;
- Control of the treatment process.